For example, while Tylenol pain reliever (acetaminophen) is relatively safe for occasional use during pregnancy, Tylenol Sinus Congestion and Pain and Tylenol Cold Multi-Symptom liquid contain the decongestant phenylephrine, which is not.
What cold and flu medicine is safe while pregnant?
Common Cold Medicine and Pregnancy: The Safe List
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Loratadine (Claritin)
- Zinc lozenges.
- Chloraseptic spray (but a salt water gargle is just as effective, with no risks)
Can Tylenol Cold and Flu cause miscarriage?
Although cold and flu viruses can certainly make you uncomfortable (especially if you’re pregnant and certain medications are off-limits), they aren’t likely to cause miscarriage.
How do you fight a cold when pregnant?
- menthol rub on your chest, temples, and under the nose.
- nasal strips, which are sticky pads that open congested airways.
- cough drops or lozenges.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol) for aches, pains, and fevers.
- cough suppressant at night.
- expectorant during the day.
How can I treat the flu naturally while pregnant?
For symptoms, try these four natural flu remedies:
- Use sugar- or honey-based lozenges to relieve sore throats and coughs.
- Get plenty of bed rest.
- Drink lots of fluids, like water, juice, and caffeine-free tea.
- Put an air humidifier in your room to provide extra moisture, which can help ease congestion.
Can coughing and sneezing cause miscarriage?
You may be more prone to sneezing during pregnancy, but rest assured that it: isn’t harmful to you or your baby. isn’t a sign of a complication. cannot cause a miscarriage.
Can I take Robitussin DM while pregnant?
Robitussin DM is a cough remedy containing guaifenesin to loosen mucus and dextromethorphan, a medication to suppress coughing. Both ingredients are safe to use during pregnancy.
Can a cold affect a baby in the womb?
Will having a cold affect the baby? Having a cold during pregnancy will not usually affect the fetus. Colds are mild illnesses that a person’s immune system can handle relatively easily. Having a cold during pregnancy will not usually affect the fetus.
What happens if I get sick while pregnant?
Pregnant women have a much higher chance of developing complications (including life threatening complications) if they get flu, particularly in the later stages of pregnancy. One of the most common complications of flu is bronchitis, a chest infection that can become serious and develop into pneumonia.
Is shivering bad during pregnancy?
Most people notice increasing feelings of heat, but in some cases, pregnancy can cause chills or shifts between hot and cold temperatures. These symptoms usually go away after a person gives birth, but it is important to talk to a healthcare provider about all pregnancy-related symptoms.
How do you get rid of a stuffy nose while pregnant?
To ease congestion and other symptoms of pregnancy rhinitis:
- Drink plenty of hydrating fluids.
- Elevate your head with extra pillows when you lie down to rest or sleep.
- Take a warm shower and linger in the steamy bathroom. …
- Try saline nose drops or saline nasal spray, available over the counter at drugstores.
What should I do if I get the flu while pregnant?
Because the flu can be serious in pregnant women, your doctor may want to treat you with an antiviral mediation like Tamiflu. Antiviral medications work best if you take them within two days of getting sick. The sooner you’re treated, the safer you and your baby will be.
Can having the flu when pregnant harm the baby?
Flu also may be harmful for a pregnant woman’s developing baby. A common flu symptom is fever, which may be associated with neural tube defects and other adverse outcomes for a developing baby. Getting vaccinated also can help protect a baby after birth from flu.
Can coughing hurt the baby while pregnant?
Many women worry that too much coughing could be dangerous for the baby. However, the baby is surrounded by amniotic fluid, which works as a shock absorber and protects them from coughing, vibrations, noises, pressure, and minor knocks.